Thursday, April 6, 2017

STANDING AT THE DOOR

   Looking back, I can't even tell you what the argument was about.

   All I remember was that the boys' mother and I were standing in the living room of our home and the conversation had escalated into a shouting match.
  
   I don't have to tell you, that is never the wise or proper way to communicate with anyone but, then again, when you're angry all reason seems to fly out the window anyway.
   Point is, our emotions had reached a fever pitch and we were now just snapping back and forth and arriving at to no peaceful resolution at all.

   Then, when I was right in the middle of a heated comeback to a seemingly sarcastic remark, I suddenly heard what I thought was a knock at the front door.
   Extremely annoyed at this unwelcome and untimely interruption, I quickly marched across the room and jerked open the front door, only to find no one there. I stepped outside and looked around but didn't see a soul.

   That only seemed to heighten my irritation and I walked back to the middle of the room and resumed my verbal retaliation exactly where I had left off. But it wasn't long before I heard the knock again.
   This time it dawned on me. The knock wasn't coming from outside the house, it was coming from inside! I actually heard it from behind a wall on which hung several photos of our two boys who, fortunately, happened to be gone at the time.

   I knew the only thing that was behind that wall was a very small utility closet, but I opened the door anyway in case something might be there. But, just as I had expected, there was nothing in it except for a few board games, a broom and a waste basket.
   Now, I knew it was impossible for a knock to have come from behind that wall, but I also couldn't deny what I had clearly heard. As I started back toward my wife, I glanced up on the wall beside the front door and noticed a picture my older brother had given me.

   It was a painting of Jesus standing outside of a home and knocking on the door.

   Below the picture was inscribed the scripture from  Revelation 3: 20 which reads,

                    "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hears 
                      my voice, and opens the  door, I will come in to him, and 
                      will sup with him, and he with me."

   I would like to say, at that point we both got the message and quit our arguing. Unfortunately, and amazingly, that's not true. We continued to keep up our offense and defense and, as is usually the case, we got absolutely no where.

   Sadly, our marriage eventually ended in divorce. Now, these many years later, I'm convinced we witnessed a supernatural event that day, since there is no natural explanation for what happened.  I'm also convinced that Jesus had used that knocking sound to distract us long enough to give us time to calm down.

   I also believe that He purposely drew our attention to the wall with the boys' photos to let us know that we needed to learn to get along for their sakes!
   If we would have been more spiritually inclined at the time, instead of so bull-headed, who knows how things might have turned out. 

   How often is it in our lives that Jesus tries to intervene and prevent us from making some terrible mistakes, only to have us ignore him?
    How much heartache, misery and loss could we avoid if only we would take the time to respond to him when he is knocking on the door of our heart?

   I encourage you to listen for His leading as you go about your daily lives and not be so intently focused on what you are doing that you do not take the time to respond when He is wisely, lovingly attempting to influence your decisions and guide your footsteps. 

                                                   ********************************

               Read more testimonies about a supernatural God at:  


              https://www.facebook.com/ActsofanAwesomeGod

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I know it is true in my own life at how many times I have heard Jesus knock on my door, and often I had missed it. I let the my moment I was living in keep me from answering that door. God uses many different ways to get our attention back onto Him for our own good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete